Having gathered his own collection and the donations from some of his contemporaries,
the Surgery Professor Dr. Guillermo Bosch Arana inaugurated the "Surgery Historical
Museum" ("Museo Histórico de Cirugía") in 1934. He had many valuable pieces, among which we find
25 remarkable surgery boxes of a French origin -which date from 1872 and belonged to the
Argentinian physician Martín Llavallol -as well as the surgical equipment belonging to some of
the most important innovators of Argentinian medicine, such as the physicians Ignacio Pirovano
(who promoted antisepsis in our country), Cecilia Grierson (the first woman doctor in Argentina),
Juan B. Justo, who actually introduced asepsis by using an autoclave for sterilization (and was
also the founder of the Argentinian Socialist Party), and Nicolás Repetto (Justo's outstanding
disciple, both in medicine and in politics).
This museum was transferred to the Institute and Chair of History of Medicine when the latter was
created in 1936-1937, and its name was changed to "Museum of Medical History" ("Museo de
Historia de la Medicina"); in 1962 it was named "Vicente Aníbal Risolía" after a remarkable
researcher of the Institute.
return to home page